What to do after a legal name change

Nov 17, 2015

There are multiple ways a person can experience a legal name change, including marriage, divorce, adoption, or a separate name change court proceeding.  However it happens, once a legal name change has been granted there are several places that must be notified of the name change.

First things first, you will need to request a certified copy (or two) of the legal document changing your name. This would be the Marriage Certificate, Order Granting Name Change, Divorce Decree, or Certificate of Dissolution.  The certified copy will serve as the official documentation and legal proof of the name change.

Once you have the certified copy, you will want to update all of your legal documents and provide notification of the name change to all agencies and companies you do business with. Here are several places to consider:

  1. Your Driver’s License or Minnesota ID Card must be changed within 30 days of your name change.
  2. You must change your name with Social Security. Call 1-800-772-1213 to request the necessary form or to find your local Social Security Office. The IRS will automatically be informed once processed with Social Security.
  3. You should file a certified copy of the order with the County Recorder of each county in which you own or have an interest in land.
  4. Update all estate planning documents.
  5. Update your name on your Voter’s Registration.
  6. Change your name on your passport.
  7. Change your name on all titled property, including cars and boats.
  8. Notify your bank and other financial institutions, including credit card companies, investment companies, and pension/retirement companies.
  9. Notify insurance companies (health, life, car, property, etc.).
  10. Notify the human resources department at work.
  11. Update records at schools and universities.
  12. Update records for all miscellaneous accounts – utilities, gyms, online accounts.
  13. Notify your medical providers, including doctor, dentist, pharmacy, and hospital.
  14. Inform the Post Office and your local mail carrier.
  15. Inform your church or religious historian/clerk.
  16. Notify military benefits offices if you have such benefits.
  17. Inform social service agencies if receiving benefits.
  18. Contact your tribe of registration or immigration offices if necessary.